Program Overview / Cost
Please use this information when comparing travel hockey programs around the Washington, D.C., area.
The Ashburn Xtreme Hockey Club is a travel-only program focused on skill development and high-level competition. The Club will inspire a commitment to sportsmanship within the individual, the team and the community.
AXHC Quick Facts
- Offers Tier II hockey teams that compete in the Chesapeake Bay Hockey League. Teams compete at the AA and A level and generally get 16-20 games per season.
- All but two of the Xtreme’s CBHL opponents are within a 60-mile radius of Loudoun County.
- Each team also plays a competitive non-league schedule of tournaments and Tier I competition. This accounts for 12-24 games depending on the level.
- Offers birth year teams for all ages of youth travel hockey (Mite 8U through Bantam 14U), one combined birth year team at Squirt 10U, Peewee 12U and Bantam 14U which will consist of players who didn't make the Birth Year Team and act as a feeder system for future teams. Three 16U teams which will be classified as AA #1, AA #2 , and A and 1-2 teams at the 18U level (AA and A).
- AXHC offers consistent practice and game times for each team – all at the Ashburn Ice House. Team practices times and days will not change during the season.
- AXHC Wednesday practices (Bantam Minor BY and below) consists of skill developmental practices led on-ice by AXHC Hockey Director Troy MacCormick. Troy is a former minor professional hockey player with four years of playing and three years of coaching in the NCAA for Canisius College of Buffalo, NY.
- AXHC Pee Wee and Bantam teams all have off-ice conditioning programs which are conducted at the Inside Edge located at the Ashburn Ice House. These workouts are all supervised and run by professional trainers. Each team has two supervised sessions a week throughout the season.
- All AXHC Teams (except Mite) will also play in the Atlantic Hockey Federation league. This adds 16 games to our schedule (8 games over two showcase weekends) plus 8 loose games. Playoffs for qualifying teams.
AXHC Coaching Staff
The Ashburn Xtreme coaching staff is under the direction of Hockey Director Troy MacCormick, a former NCAA and minor professional hockey player who spent three years as an assistant coach at Division I Canisius College. At Canisius Troy was responsible for recruiting student-athletes from prep schools and junior leagues in Canada and the United States. He still maintains many contacts from the recruiting process. Solid coaching is part of the AXHC’s Mission Statement. The AXHC head coaches are interviewed and selected each spring based upon their commitment to the club and their abilities to develop hockey and life skills for AXHC players.
Ashburn Xtreme – Value for Your Dollar
The AXHC Board of Directors has worked diligently to keep costs in check the past four years while the cost of ice rentals has steadily risen. While comparing cost of various Tier I and Tier II programs, consider the amount of practice ice and game ice available to AXHC players in relation to cost. The AXHC is easily one of the best values – if not the best in the Washington, D.C., area in terms of cost per ice slot.
The cost for each program for the 2023-24 season is as follows:
- Mites $2,200
- Squirt Birth Yr $2,900
- Squirt Mix $2,700
- Peewee Birth Yr $3,400
- Peewee Mix $3,200
- Bantam Birth Yr $3,400
- Bantam Mix $3,200
- 16U Midget $3,100
- 18U Midget $3,100
For Birth Year Teams (Mite, Squirt, Peewee, Bantam, 16U's, and 18U's), this cost includes two team practices per week,
Wednesday skills sessions (Bantam AA and Midgets excluded), full-ice practices for Pee Wee, Bantam and Midget teams, weekend game and practice slots, practice jersey, hockey socks, head coach stipend, goalie training and administrative costs of the club.
For the third team (Mix) at Squirt, Peewee and Bantam, this cost includes two team practices every week, weekend game slots, practice jersey, hockey socks, head coach stipend, goalie training and administrative costs.
Administration & Governance
The Ashburn Xtreme’s day-to-day operations are handled by Executive Director Gary Pouliot. Gary has coached in the Xtreme program for 18 years (2004-2008, 2010-15, 2017-23), guiding thirteen teams (2004, 2005, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 (16s) 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 (18s)) to the prestigious USA Hockey National Championships. Gary graduated from the Univerisity of New Hampshire with a bachelor's degree in physical education. Upon graduation, Gary served as an Infantry Officer in the United States Marine Corps for five years and then went on to serve as a Special Agent in the FBI for twenty-eight years.
The AXHC is operated by set of policies and procedures that are available on-line in the Xtreme Handbook. The Hockey Director and Executive Director set and implement all on and off-ice policies and procedures. The AXHC Board of Directors is charged with the financial stability of the organization and the HD and ED report directly to the Board of Directors.